There have been many heavy hearts, mine included, in Denver this last week. The trial for the woman who chose to cut a live, living 7-month old baby (Aurora) out of the womb of Michelle Wilkins concluded with unanimous guilty verdicts. It’s a true story of horrific pain covered with amazing forgiveness. (I purposely chose a link to our local Channel 7 News since they correctly chose to use the word baby to describe the baby! Outlets like the Denver Post purposely chose to confuse the issue by using the word fetus to describe little Baby Aurora.)
“And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (NKJV)
Surrounding the story that made national headlines is the choice of so many to refer to Baby Aurora as a fetus. Of course, if they were trying to be “Latin Correct,” they would be using the right word since fetus literally means “child.” Within Michelle’s womb was a child – her child whom she named Aurora. The baby in her womb was alive and well, progressing and growing. However, instead of being “Latin correct,” many in the news media were being “politically correct” by their word choice.
Somehow the word fetus just simply doesn’t convey our dear Michelle’s loss. Her baby was murdered – viciously, horrifically, unnecessarily. Thanks to Colorado’s backward laws, the murderer wasn’t charged with the murder of a baby, but instead was convicted of “unlawful termination of a pregnancy.” We live in a time where things are backward and upside down. People are simply unwilling to speak, say, and champion the truth.
“Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight!” Isaiah 5:20-21 (NKJV)
How does a baby develop in the womb from the moment of conception? It’s amazing! Every precious baby from conception grows at incredible speed:
“Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.'” Jeremiah 1:4-5 (NKJV)
- INSTANTANEOUS – conception takes place and the baby’s life begins.
- 7 days – The tiny human implants in mother’s uterus.
- 18 days – The baby’s heart begins to beat.
- 21 days – The baby’s heart pumps his/her own blood through their separate closed circulatory system.
- 28 days – The baby’s eyes, ears, and respiratory systems begin to form.
- 42 days – The baby’s brain waves are recorded. The baby’s skeleton is complete, and reflexes are present.
- 8 weeks – The baby’s body systems are present.
- 9 weeks – The baby squints, swallows, moves tongue, and can even make a fist.
- 11 weeks – The baby begins to spontaneously breathe, grows fingernails, and all body systems are working.
- 12 weeks – The baby weighs one full ounce.
- 16 weeks – The baby’s genital organs are clearly defined. The baby grasps with his/her hands. The baby swims, kicks, turns, somersaults, but is still usually not felt by the mother inside her protective womb.
- 18 weeks – The baby’s vocal cords work, and he/she can cry.
- 20 weeks – The baby has hair on their head, weighs one pound, and is 12 inches long.
When is a baby a baby? A baby is a baby from the moment of conception. Precious Aurora in the womb of Michelle was 7 months old. It’s important we stand in the gap for the preborn babies and push back on the political correctness of our day that, somehow, is still attempting to dehumanize babies in the womb.
“For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!” Psalms 139:13-17 (NKJV)
Pray for Michelle and her family as they grieve the horrific loss of their baby.
To stand in the gap for the unborn, or to get the help you need, consider connecting with one of these organizations:
Save the Storks
Alternatives Pregnancy Center
Colorado Family Life Center
Choose Life (20150118): STUDY STARTS at 44:00.